Shared Exchange Calendar Not Showing Up on Iphone

Problem:  Have multiple users that share an Exchange 2010 calendar.  After we switched out their iPhone’s and added the shared calendar, it did not show up in the calendar view and wasn’t able to select it when choosing which calendars to view.  Tried restarting the iPhone, resetting the account and tried the Outlook app without any luck.

Solution:  Turns out that you have a limit of 10 devices that can sync with the account so I had to go into OWA and remove old devices.  You can also remove devices in Exchange Management Console using the “Manage mobile phone..” option.

 

Windows 10: Cannot download files in Edge or Internet Explorer

Problem.
Working on a brand new computer with Windows 10 and the client reported they were unable to download a game.  Turns out that they were unable to download anything.  Within Edge or Internet Explorer, I would get a prompt to save the file but the it would not go any further.  “Save as”, “open”, “Run”, etc.. would not work; the browser was unresponsive.

Solution:
Problem turned out to be with the file location within Internet Options, it was blank.  To set the file location do the following   This also fixed the sluggish speed of the browser too.

  1. Goto control panel and select “Internet Options”
  2.  Select  “Settings” <button> under the “General” file tab
  3.  Verify under “Current Location” that the path is on the C:\ Drive
  4.  If it’s blank under “Current Location do the following:
    1. Select  “Move Folder…” <button> under “Temporary Internet Files” file tab
    2. Navigate to a folder of your choice on C:

 

 

Internet Explorer and Chrome won’t launch after Windows 10 upgrade

Problem:
User upgraded their HP laptop from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10.   After about a month, Internet Explorer and Chrome would not launch.  Double click on the icon and nothing.  Didn’t even have an instance running within Task Manager.  Tried resetting IE and uninstalling some malware but no dice.  IE and Chrome weren’t working.  Started to suspect something in the user profile might be the culprit.

Solution:
Created a new user on the laptop and IE and Chrome worked just fine.  I figured this was the fastest route because I could be troubleshooting this issue for days.  Moved over the user’s data and documents to the new profile and all was good.   Have you had this issue too?   Were you able to isolate where in the user profile this happened?  Please leave a comment if you have.

 

Dell Optiplex 790 password jumper location

Problem:  Bought a refurb dell optiplex 790 computer and upon boot up, I get the following error:

“The hardware Jumper is removed to override the system password setting.  System password has been erased and password cannot be changed.  Please connect the hardware jumper to perform password changes.…”

Dell optiplex 790 password jumper error

Since this computer was a refurb, the manufacturer probably forgot to put the jumper back into the normal position.  Should be pretty easy to fix.  Pretty much first day computer tech type of solution…  Problem is, where the heck is the jumper?!?  The form factor for these computers are so small, it isn’t obvious when you first open the case.

Solution:

The jumper is located under the hard drive so you will need to remove the CD-ROM and then remove the hard drive.  You will see that in picture, one the jumper is set for the clear password setting because it’s set on one pin, aka “empty.”  I then moved the jumper over both pins aka “Normal,” (picture 2) put everything back together and the error message was gone.  Pretty straight and clear once you find the jumper.

Dell Optiplex 790 password jumper set to clear password

Picture 1

Dell Optiplex 790 password jumper set to normal

PIcture 2

 

503 service unavailable error: WordPress – wp-admin

Problem: I was trying to update my guitar blog so I could start writing on it again and when I put in my user and password within wp-admin, I got the following error:

“Service Unavailable The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to maintenance downtime or capacity problems. Please try again later.”

The actual blog and content was coming up fine but could not access the WordPress Dashboard after putting in my password.   Last time I saw this error, it meant that the .maintenance file wasn’t deleted after an update.  But I haven’t done any maintenance for quite a bit and the whole site was down, not just the admin portion.

Troubleshooting:

  1. I looked for a .maintenance file in the root of my directory – none found
  2. I disabled all of my plugins – no change
  3. Checked rights – no issues found
  4. I backed up my blog and upgraded to the newest version of WordPress manually – no luck

Solution: I was running out of ideas so I decided to use the reset password option within wp-admin. Changed my password and what do you know, I was able to login to my blog. I have no idea what the issue is but when in doubt, reboot or change the password. This time it was password!