Getting a “Page cannot be displayed” with OWA after changing IP address on Exchange server:
Today, we moved an exchange server to a differnt subnet. Changed it’s IP address and all seemed well. Mail was passing and people were able to access mail through Outlook but not OWA. Googled a ton but couldn’t figure out what the problem was. Even tried to reset virtual directories of owa but that didn’t work as well. Per one persons suggestion, I even reinstalled the CERT to no avail.
I went into IIS manager and clicked on the properties of the “Default Web Site.” I then clicked on the “advanced” tab next to the IP address assignment area and what do you know, the SSL identity was still set to the old IP address. I changed it and all was well with the world. Pretty obvious now that I look back on it but sometimes those are your biggest headaches. Hope this saves someone some time.