Warning: Use of undefined constant user_level - assumed 'user_level' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in /homepages/13/d121821522/htdocs/mvt/wp-content/plugins/ultimate-google-analytics/ultimate_ga.php on line 524
Had some users that had to be able to access the Exchange Server on their phone. Their phone doesn’t support push/pull and they insisted on POP and SMTP. I warned them on the security issues regarding opening their server up to be an SMTP relay but they still wanted to proceed.
I enabled POP3 and was able to download mail just fine. My problem came with being able to send mail even though I had “SMTP server requires authentication.” I tried from 4 different clients and was not able to send email. I got numerous errors in my clients. See below:
- The message could not be sent because one of the recipients was rejected by the server. ‘550 5.7.1 Unable to relay for email@example.com, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 550, Error Number: 0x800CCC79
- Sending’ reported error (0x800CCC92) : ‘Your e-mail server rejected your login. Verify your user name and password in your account properties. Under Tools, click E-mail accounts.
- Task “server.com” – Sending’ reported error (0x800CCC0F) : ‘The connection to the server was interrupted. If this problem continues, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).
- No error but would always get the login screen evertime I tried to authenticate to the server to send mail.
Those are the errors that I can remember. But in some aspects none of them were related so I was all over the place troubleshooting this. I also had an ISA machine at the edge so I’m messing with that as well. I opened up the relay completely to make sure that I could at least do that. Once I confirmed the relay was OK I tightened security back down and the same errors arose.
First, there weren’t any message boards that were helpful in my 10+ hour search for a solution. Most were just saying get rid of exchange or make them use OWA. I knew it was rights but not sure how. So with the suggestion of a collegue, I created a new user from scratch. I copy the template that we had made for past user creations. What do you know, it worked. I don’t know what right the other users are missing and not sure if I care right now (brain damage). Since only a handful of users are the problem, I have no problem re-creating the users for them. I will try deleteing the user but not the mailbox and then re-marrying the new user to the mailbox and see how that goes. I’ll keep you posted.
(2/13/08) Update: We deleted the user and re-created it. We then reconnected the new user to the old mailbox via system manager and we were able to use both pop and smtp as well.