Warning: Use of undefined constant user_level - assumed 'user_level' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in /homepages/13/d121821522/htdocs/mvt/wp-content/plugins/ultimate-google-analytics/ultimate_ga.php on line 524
Problem: I upgraded my retrospect backup software from 7.x to 9.5. Upgrade went without issue until I tried my first backup. When selecting the volumes for the Exchange Server, I was unable to see the databases and the mailboxes. I got the following errors when trying to backup or expand the volumes:
– “Can’t track volumes, error -1 (unknown)
– Sorry, can’t list volumes on Exchange Mailboxes on “servername” Error -1 (Unknown)
– Error on backup. Can’t list volumes. Exchange Server was empty (had no volumes)
I tried different backup users per retrospects user guide for the Exchange Server Agent. I made sure .net 4.0 was installed on the backup server because it is mandatory to have it installed. I was at a loss.
Solution: .Net 4.0 needed to be installed on the Exchange Server as well. I thought that it was but I was mistaken. Once I installed .Net 4.0, I was able to browse the mailboxes and the databases. Below is how I came to the solution:
I had to setup the debug logging within Retrospect by hitting CTRL – ALT and hit ‘p’ twice. Within the window that popped up I had to change the “Trees and Volumes logging” to a value of 6. Then I had to unlicense the Exchange Agent and close out Retrospect, re-open it and the re-license the Exchange Agent and the backup a shot. Within the operations log, it was more detailed and I saw that .Net 4.0 was needed on the Exchange Server.