Problem: Installing updates on a new Dell box and after installing SP3, I get the “Some updates were not installed” error and no matter what I do, the updates fail. At first, I thought this was any issue with SP3 again but found that others had the same issue with SP2.
Solution: Had to do a force install of the Windows Update Agent. Once I did that, updates installed without error once again. Instructions below:
- Create a new directory on the c:\ drive and call it “update”
- Download the Windows Update Agent installer and save it to the newly created directory (c:\update).
- Go to a command prompt and type “C:\update\windowsupdateagent30-x86.exe /wuforce”
- the wuforce switch forces the reinstall. If you don’t use this windows will not continue with the installation.
- Go to Windows Update and continue patching your system.