Problem: When opening the Netflix app on my Samsung smart TV, it crashes. Sometimes I get to the menu, other times it crashes right at the splash screen when loading. Seems to have happened since the app was updated a few weeks ago. I contacted Samsung support and this is what we did.
- Reset to factory defaults (twice) – Didn’t work
- Reset SmartHub – Didn’t work
- Tried the switch region fix – Didn’t work
- Manually put in Google DNS 18.104.22.168 in network settings – Didn’t work
- Did self diagnosis test for sound (have no idea why they had me do that) – Didn’t work
- On my own I tried disabling some of the security features like the antivirus and such to see if they were messing with the app. Didn’t work either
All in all, I spend two hours on chat with them and after it was all said and done, they told me to contact the app maker (netflix) to get the problem fixed. This does seem to be a Netflix issue because I’m having the same problem on my Amazon Fire Stick as well. But I’m going to kill this bird first.
9.9.16 – Contacted Netflix support at firstname.lastname@example.org for support to see if they have any news. Will post when I hear about it. There was an update last night for my Fire TV and Netflix seems to be working better now.
– Got an auto reply from Netflix telling me to go to help.netflix.com (not very helpful)
– Tried one more thing and set my region to China after resetting the Smart Hub, thinking this might delete Netflix and then I would reset back to United States. Unfortunately, that didn’t work either
Current version of Netflix is version 5.0543. What are your versions? Is it the same as mine?
Solution: None Yet: will contact Netflix and update this post on what they say. If you have any ideas, pease post in the comments. It would be greatly appreciated and I see that I’m not the only one having this issue.
Update: 10.12.16 After some more troubleshooting, I found out it had to do with my content filter. I’m using Sophos UTM content filtering and somehow, what it’s doing to the stream is making the app crash. I whitelisted netflix and all is well.
Update: 12.4.15 Whitelisting Netflix in Astaro UTM is not as straightforward as one might think. After working through different forums and experimenting myself, I have found that there isn’t a sure way to whitelist Netflix. I still needing content filtering setup though so I was at a loss. What I did end up doing was disable virus scanning for the UTM content filtering and Netflix was able to stream. This isn’t a good solution for enterprise environments but fine for my home network.