As an older gamer, I’m constantly trying to find something that will help my play when playing Warzone on Xbox. I don’t play enough to be awesome and I’m not young enough to keep up with some of these players; including my son. Below is what I have done to even the playing field just a bit so this old fart won’t embarrass himself as much.
Table of Contents:
- Recommended to me by a friend, the Dell S2721QS is a great gaming monitor. I can see the action better and there is less time trying to find what I want to shoot in Warzone. Especially helpful with the new Calera Map.
- I got tired of taking my thumb off the stick to jump, open things, slide, etc… So I got a Microsoft Elite Series 2 controller. Spartakus uses one on his stream and hearing him talk about it made me want to give it a try. This controller is well made, nice and heavy and definately has made me a better player. I got a refurb to save some money and haven’t had any issues yet.
- To go with my MS Elite Series 2, I bought a 2nd set of thumbsticks and paddles. I did not like the short paddles because I tended to push two at the same time, the way they were positioned. So I now have 4 long ones on the back. Took a bit to get used to but so much better.
- Upgraded to the SteelSeries Arctis 9x headphones because I wasn’t hearing footsteps with my old set. With COD and Warzone, I have a hard enough time hearing footsteps so I got these. Bluetooth, so no wires and you can still have your phone connected, in case you need to make a call or listen to some tunes while playing.
- Got me a Bluetooth keyboard to round it out. This doesn’t help my play but I like it because I can name my loadouts faster. I get so annoyed by naming my loadouts with my controller.
UPDATE: I did all I could to not spend the $$ on a new Xbox Series X, just because that sucker is expensive. Saw one online where the price wasn’t jacked up and I got it. My gaming experience is much better now; not as laggy, doesn’t freeze up as much and my KD has been a solid 1.5/2.0 for the most part. Could be a placebo but I’ll take it. In the end, hardware does matter. One problem I’m having though is the rendering of the map is weird in sports. Looks like soft serve ice cream and half of my operators body will disappear in it. Other things will as well, like the buy station and rocks so I get caught up in those and can’t see why. A restart of the game usually fixes it for a few matches but hopefully this will get better once Season 3 comes out.